Our Heritage

Our Heritage

A Legacy of Service Since 1895

In the autumn of 1895, the Village of Glen Ellyn was home to just 600 residents. Surrounded by rolling hills, orchards, gardens, and a sparkling lake, it was a close-knit community where neighbors worked together to build a better future.

It was here that nine visionary women gathered with a shared purpose—to create the Glen Ellyn Study Club, which would later become the Glen Ellyn Woman’s Club. While they could never have imagined the lasting impact of their efforts, their commitment to education, civic engagement, and community service laid the foundation for more than 130 years of philanthropy and volunteerism.

Carnegie public library

Building a Stronger Glen Ellyn

From its earliest days, the Glen Ellyn Woman’s Club played a vital role in shaping the community.

The Club championed the creation of Glen Ellyn’s public library, helping raise funds to furnish the new building after it opened on September 4, 1914. Members also worked to improve local schools, organized the community’s first Parent-Teacher Association (PTA), and supported the development of school playgrounds for area children.

Their commitment to civic improvement extended throughout the village. Members advocated for improved sanitation, upgraded facilities at the Northwestern and Aurora railroad stations, and actively supported national war efforts during both World Wars.

Preserving Our Community’s History

The Glen Ellyn Woman’s Club has long recognized the importance of preserving local history.

In 1968, two Club members helped establish the Glen Ellyn Historical Society. The Club furnished the ladies’ bedroom at the historic Stacy’s Tavern Museum. Members have also planted trees throughout the village, and on Arbor Day 1986, dedicated a monument honoring Frank Johnson and his wife at the local cemetery.

Throughout its history, the Club has been a trusted community partner—often leading new initiatives or collaborating with others whenever the Village needed dedicated volunteers and civic leadership.

A Tradition of Giving Back

Community service has always been at the heart of the Glen Ellyn Woman’s Club.

During the decades, members have supported countless charitable organizations and outreach efforts by collecting food for local food pantries, donating socks for PADS, gathering canceled postage stamps to benefit neglected children in Brazil through the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart, collecting prescription bottles for a Christian mission in Haiti, providing greeting cards for inmates, creating favors for local nursing home residents, and volunteering with Feed My Starving Children.

To support these philanthropic efforts, the Club has continually embraced creative fundraising opportunities. In addition to its long-standing Holiday Festival Luncheon & Silent Auction, members have hosted Victorian teas, bingo events, rummage sales, community coupon programs, scholarship fundraisers, and gift card sales—all with the goal of giving back to the community.

Today, one of the Club’s proudest traditions is awarding annual college scholarships to graduating seniors from Glenbard West and Glenbard South High Schools, continuing its commitment to investing in future generations.

Continuing the Legacy

For more than a century, women from Glen Ellyn and neighboring communities have found friendship, purpose, education, and inspiration through the Glen Ellyn Woman’s Club. Educational programs, meaningful volunteer opportunities, and lasting friendships continue to enrich the lives of our members, while strengthening the community we proudly serve.

What began with nine determined women in 1895 has grown into a lasting legacy of service, leadership, education, and philanthropy now as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Their vision continues to inspire each new generation of members as we work together to make a positive difference in Glen Ellyn.

Historical information provided by Glen Ellyn Woman’s Club member Jean Jeske.